Friday 3 October 2008

The Problem With Life Is...

Have you ever wished that life contained background music? I personally think it would be wonderful to hear a good rock song while I'm strolling down the sidewalk, or a beautiful symphony when I'm happy. Perhaps the most useful would be the unmistakeable sound of danger music when you need a little warning. But I also happen to think that having an audible narrator would be a good addition to life.

I was riding the tube last night full of joy because I was about to attend a Christian prayer and worship night at ULU. I sat there listening to Sherwood and The Fold on my iPod and could almost hear a voice dictating my feelings and emotions word for word. My mind then wandered to an idea for a short film involving someone who could hear what they were thinking and feeling, and how that would affect the way they acted and responded to things. Can you imagine how much of an attitude adjustment would take place when you were being told exactly what your attitude was? I think at first it would be quite annoying, since human nature is to deny it and cover it up. But if I was to actually listen to the verbal account of what's going on in my head I think it would help me see where I was wrong and what I needed to change. You can't hide from something that's staring you right in the face.

The problem with life is that we have a way to hide from it. Silence. Maybe we can be our own narrators, showing ourselves where we are wrong. I think it would change the way we see ourselves, others, and the world.

1 comment:

Mom said...

You're such creative thinker! I actually saw a movie like that - with a narrator saying what the main character was doing and thinking in a voice audible to the main character! Or, was it a Twilight Zone episode? :)