Thursday 25 September 2008

Across the Pond

Hello from London! After two flights across the ocean and the unique experience of navigating airport security by myself for the first time, I arrived with the group of almost 30 students at the Dilke House. Here we had a short orientation and were soon send off via taxis to our homestays. I met my roommate, Bethany, on the first flight so I didn't feel completely lost when the London experience began. Our homestay "mom" is a very nice older woman named Helen who warmly welcomed us into her home and made us part of her family.

Although I dislike air travel, this trip as a whole wasn't a very bad experience. Physically I didn't feel well the entire trip, but mentally I was excited and enthusiastic about everything that was going on. I loved the thrill of "moving" away from home and in with a roommate, which is something that I have never done at home. I am learning, however, that it's not as easy as I thought. I don't have any place where I can be completely alone and I feel unsure about what I can and can't do in the house we live in, since it doesn't belong to us. Every day it will get better though, and it will feel more like home.

Navigating the tube system has been a really fun challenge for me. I thoroughly enjoy people-watching (no, I'm not a stalker) and what better place to be an observer than a crowded train in Europe? The commute from my house to the school is about 15 minutes of walking and 25 minutes of tube travel, so I have plenty of time to learn about the cultures and people of my temporary home. Luckily I've only gotten on the wrong tube once since I've been here, and I realized it soon enough that I didn't end up somewhere scary. I really wish Seattle had a transportation system that's as efficient as this.

Overall I've had a good first week. I haven't hit any huge emotional barriers yet, and I'm not laying in bed wishing I'd never come. I'm sure that thought may cross my mind at some point in the next 10 weeks, but considering my large uneasiness about flying I'll want to postpone the plane ride for as long as I can. Cheers!

No comments: